#sol18: Picture Day

Monday, March 19, 2018

#SOL18: March 19th

Picture Day


     There I was, standing in the stairwell at Heritage right as the bell rang.  Immediately, seas of students washed down the stairs in a wave of hunger as they headed to their lunch period.  This happens to me a lot, and I have learned that the best thing to do is avoid getting swept into the wave. I stand clear on the wall and wait for it to pass.  Today, though, the wave wasn't a normal sea of navy blue and khaki.  Today, it was all dressed up and ready to party!  There were bow ties, dresses, heals, t-shirts, and everything in between.  This could be a dress down day, but they seemed more dressed up.  When I saw Michelle Brezek, the teacher I was coming to visit, all dressed up in her fancy red dress, I knew my inference seemed right.  It was 8th grade picture day!  

 

     After lunch ended, the students returned to Andrea Bortscheller/Brezek's room, and they did their 7 minute write about how they could do 17 things to honor those lost at Parkland.  I watched these dressed up students write, and then share their writing with a peer, as they reflected on a skill that is far more beautiful than heals and sequins.  They then came to the carpet and had a classroom conversation, where 7th and 8th graders sat in a circle and shared their honest thoughts and wonderings about the world we live in today.  The conversation began with Andrea's calm opening, and ended with Michelle telling her students that she loves them. It was beautiful.


     I found myself adding to the conversation as well.  I was moved by a former students' honest wondering why the constant shootings in Chicago don't get attention, and then I looked across the circle and saw her shirt.  Love wins.  I couldn't help adding my own comment, to many students I was meeting for the first time, that it's conversations like this one that can change the world.  Love wins, always.  In so many situations, love wins.  

     I am so grateful for being a part of this class for a small chunk of time on a day when I got to see not only how they want themselves to be seen on the outside (thanks to picture day) but also who they are on the inside (thanks to their writing and conversation, and some of their clothes choices too.)



2 comments:

  1. You really took me places I didn't expect in your piece! From the excitement of picture day dressing up to the somber reflections. I love how you tied it up with the "outside/inside" idea. Nice writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That inside/outside part, Leah, I just love it. Thanks for inspiring me with your writing, and visiting our classroom, and participating with us. You have an invitation for all days of every year!

    ReplyDelete