#SOL18: Gold Medal

Thursday, March 1, 2018


#SOL18: March 2nd

Gold Medal


     I pulled the car into reverse, and started to move into the spot.  I looked at my new back-up camera, and it confirmed that I did indeed fit.  I thought I might.  I adjusted and straightened the car out, making sure that I was in the lines but not on the curb.  I stopped the car, put it into park, and sighed.

     I did it!  I really did it.  

     When I stepped out of the car, I half expected to hear our national anthem start as I stepped up to the podium.  I would slightly bow my head as they put the gold medal around my neck, and as I stood back up I would glance at the crowd and see the pride in their eyes.  A gold medal in parallel parking would be quite amazing, I know.  But I deserved it (at least in my mind).

     I snapped back to reality when I noticed that while I had indeed parallel parked, there was more space left that I had anticipated.  Perhaps this was not quite an olympic feat.   Oh well.  It was a start. My gold medal dreams changed to a quick "Guess what I just did?" conversation with the school secretary, and some self pride in my {minor but major to me} accomplishment. 

     






8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your humorous post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of people who are good parallel parkers! My friend, Camille, makes it look so easy to squeeze into a small spot. I am sure you deserved at least a silver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if the Olympic committee would allow the back-up camera, but I do love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And they came bearing sponsorship offers...
    Congrats, you deserve that medal. Think of all the energy you've invested all these years and on the first try? Gold all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm... YES! Parallel parking is an insane feat! For real, I have been known to drive around and walk equally insane distances to not have to or get out of the car and let my husband or other passenger do it. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parallel parking....that back up beep beep mirroring your beating heart. Getting faster and faster until it becomes one steady stream screaming CLOSE ENOUGH, sounding like you've flatlined. Been there, done that. So glad that you were successful! My sister could parallel park a boat....me I have trouble with a skiff. Congrats on your gold, I'm sure you deserve it, Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would rather walk a mile than parallel park in traffic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! My two sisters and I parked in front of our house when we were in high school and college. We also refused to parallel park. Instead, we would "come in for a landing" and glide the '87 Buick into its spot everyday.

    ReplyDelete