Time to Go

Saturday, March 19, 2016

#SOL16
Day 19

        It was time to leave our house, something that happens at least once almost every single day.  And yet, it always seems to be the most challenging thing I ask my kids to do.

       "Get your shoes and coat.  Time to go to the birthday party!"

       "I don't want to go yet.  In a little bit."  My daughter said this while surrounded by toys on the floor of the living room.  She has an elaborate village set up.  

       "If we don't go now, you will miss the party."  I say this, shocked that she was the one hesitating. My son must not have even heard the shoe and coat request at all, since he is not emerging.  In fact, I still hear the iPad.

       "Evan, get your shoes!"

       Silence, then "I can't find them anywhere."

       I look up, and I see him standing in the kitchen now, holding a new toy.  I guess the theory is if you can't find your shoes, play with whatever you did find.  I tell him to go the usual spots (the bathroom or his bedroom) since they are not by the coat hook where they should be.  It's a miracle.  They are found in his bedroom.

       Keira has her coat on, but it's the wrong one.  I hand her the one more appropriate for the day's weather, and she kind of growls at me.  But, she puts it on... while dropping the other one on the ground.  

       In typical O'Donnell fashion, we were indeed late to the party.  They did get themselves ready all by themselves.  Independence come with a price, it seems: Tardiness.  And irritation.  

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! I adopted my boys at 7 and 9. One of the hardest things for me to get used to was how long it took us to get out the door every morning (ok, actually every time we went somewhere). It was so frustrating! Not my finest moments in motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh outloud because the same thing happens at my house -- only I'm the one who can't find what she needs, get her act together, and get out the door!
    If I had a nickel for every time I have to retrace my steps as I try out valiantly to NOT be late....
    Let's just say there'd be quite a stack of nickels to distract me even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I SO relate to this!! It reminds me of my own crew trying to get out of the house EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.!!! I don't know what it is that it is such a challenge, but it sure turns out that way! My Day 19 post was also about this...about my need to find systems to help us be better prepared to get out the door! Thank you for sharing your story...it helps knowing we are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds familiar. I have one of these at my house too. Someone who is very much enjoying that mommy can't drive and can't prod her out of the house. :-)

    ReplyDelete