Pigeon Blue

Sunday, March 6, 2016

#SOL16
Day 6


      Today's slice is a narrative slice inspired by Mo Willems...

      The other day, we went to Staples because my daughter really wanted a set of dry erase markers to play school with.  While we were there, my son decided he wanted a set of highlighter markers, and they happened to be on sale.  I agreed, and off to the checkout we went.  When we were in the car, I causally asked if the highlighters came with blue.   When he said yes, I said, "Perfect!  Now we can draw Pigeon.  Highlighters are Pigeon Blue!"

     A day later, we went to breakfast as a family and the kids drew on their placemats like they usually do.  Today, they wanted me to show them how to draw Mo Willems characters.  First it was Pigeon, then Piggie, then Gerald. They added some speech bubbles. Duckling came next, and we can't forget Snake.  We did this impromptu drawing with the PaperMates in my purse.  When we headed home, they broke the highlighters out and started sketching all over again.  


     This time, my son signed his drawing "Evan Wiloms."  And my daughter wrote a sentence all on her own in the speech bubble.  Oh, how I love Mo Willems, and his impact on early literacy, and on grown literacy coaches too.  

9 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of Mo Willems until my daughter came home from kindergarten and demanded that we go to the library to look for books by him. I was so proud of her for knowing an author's name, and so pleased with her teacher for letting them know that if you like one book by someone, you should look for others by the same person. As the year went on, she learned so much from Mr. B. and from Mo Willems about text features--everything from the idea that you read bold words in a bigger voice to the convention that squiggly lines over someone's head in a cartoon means they are angry. Now my kids are 9 and 11, and we still check out each new Elephant and Piggie book to read together. I love that your son recognized "pigeon blue"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear that you still read them together. I was just a guest reader in 5th grade with Waiting is Not Easy! and we actually explored theme and were able to compare it to picture books from their Civil War unit and the Underground Railroad. It was pretty amazing. I love that I read the same book in a 1st grade class a few days before, with a completely different focus. I love his books.

      Delete
  2. Awwww! The dialogue in the bubble gave me life and the grip on the pen encouragement. I will pick up some pens today and draw something because of you and yours! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you! Happy drawing! New pens are always a reason for celebration. :)

      Delete
  3. I love watching children sketch at restaurants and remember when my own children did that. Early literacy and art blend beautifully. Enjoy your children's growing years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I start drawing while they draw, too/ It brings me back to my own childhood a bit.

      Delete
  4. Oh those days of kids drawing on their placemats! My wife would have crayons in her purse and by the time the meal arrived, wow, the artistry that was created! :)

    Thank you for sharing this artistic slice with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the slices that are written through your children's eyes, Leah! What a great afternoon date - supplies for drawing and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet way to get kids writing! I love to read and gift books by Mo!

    ReplyDelete