#sol18: Great

Sunday, March 18, 2018

#SOL18: March 18th

Great



     I took this picture on March 1st to remember to slice about our conversation.  Today, 18 days later, I finally remembered.  So, I am going to give a word of caution that my quotation marks might be more paraphrase marks by this point.  I'm not sure my memory works that well.  

     Me, to former student A:  "How are you doing?"

     A:  "Great.  I'm doing great!" he said in an upbeat, confident tone.

     Me:  "Really?  Why great?  That's a strong response."

     A:  "I don't know.  There's nothing bad going on, so I'm great."

     His response just surprised me.  I ask so many people how they are, and most people don't sound as great.  Perhaps they are equally as well, but he just seemed upbeat and happy.

     It was such a quick conversation that reminded me again of A's positive nature.  They say surround yourself with positive people, and he sure is one of those people.  I was reminded of a time when he thanked me for teaching a lesson in his class, and his sincerity just stood out.  This day in class, his "expel air from the lungs in a sharp manner" blessing after a sneeze reminded me of his humor.  Yesterday, a video on Twitter of his class playing a vocabulary quiz with his optional dancing reminded me of his joy.  Today, I see that being around him is what that saying is all about.  Surround yourself with positive people, and you see the good in the world.

     I hope to be a positive person for others, too.  Thanks, A,  for being a model of having a joyful mindset, a caring heart, and a positive outlook on life.  You seem to have perspective at a young age.

     Thanks, A.

7 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to find positive people in life. I am sure having A in class is a wonderful spark for others to be positive, too, Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story. I love running into past students and reconnecting via the stories they remember about my class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when they track you down on Facebook or LinkedIn years later and tell you how much your class -- and mentoring -- meant to them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to share this with him, he'll love it! He's such a great person and I'm so lucky to have him as a student. Thank you so much for being there and playing such positive role in his life!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our students' positivity can be infectious! I wish I were more positive like your student.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our students' positivity can be infectious! I wish I were more positive like your student.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take pictures to remind myself of things as well. I'm glad you snapped this picture so you could share your slice with us.

    ReplyDelete