#sol18: The Blue Bomb

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

#SOL18: March 21st

The Blue Bomb



     
      This is not my Blue Bomb.  But I did have a Blue Bomb.

      I turned 16, and my parents gave me their old car, as long as I got a job to pay for the car insurance.  I applied to McDonald's, got my driver's license, and hit the open suburban roads in my 1976 powder blue Ford Maverick.  I was able to drive that car because my dad keeps such care of everything he buys, and my mom saves everything.

***Important Note:  I was born in 1977.

     I was the first person in my friend group to turn 16, so the Blue Bomb (as we nicknamed it) became our ride.  It was fully equipped with Rustoleum spots and an 8-track player in 1993.  That car was built like a tank with blue vinyl seats. We jammed out to Abba and early Billy Joel as we went to the movies or the local Denny's.  Mostly, though, I drove that car to McDonald's and saw it parked and patiently waiting as I worked the drive thru.

     This year, I started taking a new-ish route to work, and now I get an almost daily reminder of that car and my 16 year old self as I drive near Route 66 and see this mint condition Blue Bomb.  Perhaps because it is Slice of Life month, or possibly because the sky so perfectly matched the paint on this particular day, I found myself parked on the street, taking a picture of a stranger's car.  That stranger's car, though, is almost like a window into my past. If I could do it again?  I'd totally get a decal like his for my car: Blue Bomb.  Other than that, I'd keep everything the same.




5 comments:

  1. I love your "Important Note!" Great read, as many can relate to our first (or second, third, etc.) cars. A little reminiscing on a drive to work can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this slice. So much nostalgia tied to first cars, particularly when they became the source for friends to get around. Thanks for sharing, and stirring up fond memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not resist reading about a first car. My first car was a 1975 Ford Pinto. It was turd brown. I grew up near Route 66, so your post makes me feel really nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great memory! I agree that doing these daily slices changes one's perspective. I've been a better "noticer" and more reflective this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother had a 70-something blue Maverick. I drove a 15 passenger van in high school known as my baby - baby elephant. It was also blue. I didn't drive to school, but on weekend outings we always had room for everyone! Ah, the memories. :)

    ReplyDelete