#sol18: Eight

Saturday, March 24, 2018

#SOL18: March 24th

Eight


     I used to tell people, before I had kids, that I wished I could have a baby that was born 8 years old.  I had this irrational fear of babies, and would go out of my way to not hold them for fear of making them cry.  I had taught 2nd great for ten years the time, and I felt that I knew that age group well.  So, that was my joke.  Can't I just have an 8 year old baby?  Then I'd know how to take care of it.

     I did end up having two babies who were indeed born as newborns, not as 8 year olds.  While there was a large growth curve, I did hold them and feed them and carry them and managed to not make them cry some of the time.  Many times, in fact, I actually calmed them as they cried.  I guess we figured it out together.

     Today, my youngest turns 8.  Yep, 8. How did 8 years pass so fast?

     If they were born 8, I would have missed so many firsts.  Those first steps, first words, first accomplishments, first dance recitals, first everything.  I know there are so many more firsts ahead, yet she's EIGHT.  I am overwhelmed as my youngest starts to wind down 2nd grade and heads towards 3rd.  How. Is. This. Possible?

     A part of me was on to something, though.  Boy, am I enjoying them at this age.   Still so full of love and creativity, yet beginning to be independent and have their own personalities and interests.  I always said kids at this age are the best, and I have 2 of the best around.  I just can't believe how fast time goes.  I am so proud to be their mom.  Who would have known that babies end up teaching you almost as much as we teach them?

     But... eight?

3 comments:

  1. Time does fly. It's crazy and, I didn't really understand what people meant by that until I had kids of my own. Happy birthday to your (not-so) baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my favorite lines, "If they were born 8, I would have missed so many firsts. Those first steps, first words, first accomplishments, first dance recitals, first everything.". They capture how special childhood is! Time sure does indeed fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My twins will be eight in May ... and I'm like you, I just can't believe it. Such an amazing age ... living like a kid, but with a toe in the "growing up" stage and independence. Enjoy every day of eight!!! (Because NINE comes next. Ugh!)

    ReplyDelete