#SOL18: Bored

Monday, March 5, 2018

#SOL18: March 6th

Bored


     Sunday is a no tech day, so the kids are bored.  "What can we do, Mom?" is the constant question. A quick glance around the house tells me that there is a lot that they can do.  Toys and games are littered all over the floors, and yet they have nothing to do.    A frustration rises up inside of me, and yet I hear myself calmly say, "I'm sure you will find something to do."

     First they gathered all their Star Wars plush toys into a bed, and played Star Wars trivia.  The Imperial March would occasionally play from a bear's paw as they answered questions about the empire and the rebels.  They know quite a bit more than I do.

     Next, we all read our assigned books from the A-Z Mystery series.  My daughter picked one for each of us and passed them out, so we read gathered together in a room.  My son said that we were playing school, which wasn't that far off from the truth.  It felt like a smaller version of Read to Self, and lasted about 20 minutes before kids claimed they needed to take a break.  I snuck off and finished my copy of The Lucky Lottery.  (I will refrain from sharing the ending.)

     What was their break?  My son is into maps of the US and countries, so he put together a map puzzle I had brought home from school.  He then decided that he wanted to draw flags for each of the states, so he got paper and passed it out to his dad and sister.  When my daughter was done, she announced it was Clone War time.  My husband replied, "No, it's cleaning time!  Do something that doesn't put more stuff on the floor."  Those are pretty wise words.

      Bored.  What exactly does that word mean?  It seems that my kids might have a different definition of bored than I do, because I saw them engaged and interested in what they love.  It just happened to not involve an iPad.  Weird.
   

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading your slice. It reminds us what 'bored' means in today's technology infused world. Your children were engaged all the time. They talked to you and each other and read books. I believe in the "no tech days".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your daughter assigning everyone an A - Z Mystery to read! (This is so something that has happened in my house as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this little window into how your family spends their Sundays. I love the idea of a no tech day.

    ReplyDelete