Happy Birthday, Barbie!

Saturday, March 9, 2019

#SOL19: March 9th

 

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday, dear Barbie,
Happy Birthday to you!

       Barbie turned 60 today!  In honor of the occasion I dug out some pictures of her.  It brought back memories of birthdays and Christmases of the past.  Me, surrounded by old friends, cousins, and always my little sister, holding up a new Barbie with a big smile on my face.  

       It also brought back memories of our basement as a child.  That's where we built our Barbies' houses.  We used folders or boxes to create walls, and furnished their houses on the concrete floors of our unfinished basement using the furniture we many times bought from a garage sale.  We had a big bucket of clothes for our Barbies, many handmade, and all straight out of the 80's.  I remember dumping out the bucket on the ground, searching for just the look my Barbie needed for the day.  Finding the matching shoes and earrings?  Now that was the challenge.

       Barbie, you always were a woman with determination in my basement.  You had a family and were a great mom and sister, yet you still had time to be a literal rockstar.  Thanks for giving me hours and hours of imaginative play, way back in my early days.  :)



5 comments:

  1. Love your Barbie memories & the delightful pics. My mom wouldn't let me have a Barbie, so I had the much more sensible Tammy. But I mad sure my daughter had Barbies galore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like me and my Flower Patch Kids, instead of Cabbage Patch Kids. They were much more economically sensible I suppose.

      My daughter never really got into Barbies. She's more of a Star Wars and Lego girl, which I can stand behind, too.

      Delete
  2. I just learned something new! It has taken me 46 years to learn that Barbie and I share a birthday. Thanks for the information. (Now I'm off to ponder if I ever got a Barbie on my/our birthday.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny! Well, Happy Birthday to you both!!!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday indeed. I loved my Barbies growing up as well. Just saw a nice piece on tv about this doll's impact in our world. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete