Sprinkle Cookies, Arroz and Tostones: A Slice of Life

Friday, March 27, 2015

Writing teachers need to write themselves.
I am participating in the Slice of Life 2015 Challenge, 
where I attempt to write stories and narratives about moments in my life.
I apologize if this blog post veers off the informative "literacy lens" I usually write through.
This month I am pretending to be a writer, for my students' benefit (and my own).
Writers write. 
#SOL15


     Lunches made.
     Book bags packed.
     Coats on.
     Shoes on.
     In the car.
     Garage door opens.
     What is that white stuff on the ground on March 27th?  No time to switch to boots.  I have a dual language site visit to get to.  Evan's little feet will be just fine in shoes.

     I pull into my parent's house and unpack the kids.  I walk into the kitchen and hear my dad call from downstairs, "Hey... Do you take Harlem?"  This can't be good.

     Slight Panic

     After I reassure him that Harlem is not my normal route, he motions to the TV and I hear that a northbound section is closed.  No worries!  LaGrange Road is my route.  Wait... Did they just say that LaGrange is also closed northbound?

     PANIC 

     It will be ok.  I can take Roberts Road.

     Oh wait.  Everyone else in the world also took Roberts Road.  Including that semi towing a semi that almost drove into me.

     How can less than an inch of snow close both of my major routes to work?!?!

     My excitement for the dual language visit starts to fade away.  Lucy is waiting at school for me to carpool because I am the world's worst parallel parker and this visit involves street parking in the city.  I can't do that.  But I also can't make Lucy wait.  I sadly send the text.  It seems that this visit isn't going to be part of my plan.  Disappointment consumes me.


     Luckily, I am bringing treats to school, and there happens to be a box of gourmet cookies on the passenger seat.  I rip open the seal and eat one, hoping the sprinkles will make me feel better despite my sadness.

     As if those sprinkles were made with a touch of magic, Lucy tells me she will wait for me.  Not only will I be able to learn from others, but I am reminded of the fact that my coworkers are amazing.  Lucy was willing to be late just to make it possible for me to be there.

     This.  Traffic.  Is.  Going.  Nowhere.

     A few more pleas for Lucy to leave without me, but she is insistent that she will wait.

     I think I need another cookie.

     2 hours later, I make it to school and we start our trip to the city.  The whole ride there we talk about the amazing things we have going on in our building, and we appreciate the rolling clouds and the emerging sun.  Believe it or not, it's like a new day has started.

     Because of Lucy and her patience, I was able to see amazing things at Erie Charter School.  Even more special to me, though, were the conversations I got to have with my own D100 family about our bilingual program and our transition to dual language.  Somehow, on the Paseo Boricua, surrounded by deep conversations and the arroz con gandules and tostones, the snow melted and the sun started to shine.  New understandings formed.  Stronger relationships were developed.  Pride was evident everywhere.

    It turns out collaboration and good Puerto Rican food are stronger than the snow.  Siempre.









 

   

3 comments:

  1. Glad to have been a part of it. My head, heart and stomach are full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great people we work with. Glad yesterday was a great day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, felt I was in the car with you! I know those roads and I would've panicked too. Those cookies (and some great co-workers) saved the day!

    ReplyDelete