Monochromatic LEGO Challenge

Friday, March 20, 2020

#SOL20: March 20th

            There we were, sorting LEGO bricks into colors.  Today's challenge was to build something in all one color, a monochromatic build.  My daughter was super excited, and I had no idea whatsoever what I could build.  I made a pile of red for her, and green for me.  She wasn't sure what she was going to make, but seemed confident.  I declared, "I'm building a house."  I mean, that's super creative.  I started sorting bricks into color categories for us.

          I sorted for awhile, and then changed my pile from light green to dark green.  

          She changed her mind from red to yellow, because we don't have an all red mini figure.  I started making her a pile of yellow.

         I changed my mind from green to white.  We apparently have a lot of white.

         At this point, I had no reason not to start building my generically boring house.  She had a whole space ship thing going, and I started putting down the bricks to make my house.  My boring, old house.  

         As we were building, Keira started talking about how her life is so much better with LEGO in it.  She said that it made her so creative, and that she didn't know what she would do without LEGO.  Listening to her, I realized that I needed to be a bit more creative myself.  I looked down at the house that I was building, and thought to myself, "What could this white house be?"

          An igloo...  
          A clean house... 
          A hand sanitizer factory!!!

          That was it.  Here, in the middle of a coronavirus pandemic, what the world needs is a hand sanitizer factory!  I built a pump and found a little white cabinet piece to hold imaginary Clorox wipes, too.  My daughter, when I announced my improved concept, found me an all white mini figure and helped me build the hand sanitizer pump that is on the roof.  Apparently, she didn't like my original design.  (She was right, by the way.  Her's is better.)

          With that, here is our hand sanitizer factory and her banana space ship!

Sidenote:  My son skipped this challenge so that he could build a rollercoaster on the computer.  I wasn't thrilled with his decision at the time.  He then told me that his design was the best he's ever made by himself, and that he couldn't stop watching it when he finished.  We all show our creativity in different ways.  :)

 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!