The Remote

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

#SOL19: March 12th

      I am not a big TV watcher.  I have a full DVR, just waiting to be watched.  But, most days, it remains unwatched and waiting.  Today was a day where I needed to just reach for the remote, pick a show, and decompress.  I needed to fall into the world of Magnum PI for a while, and say aloha to my worries and to-do list.  I needed to just focus on Jay Hernandez and his floral print shirts.

      The kids went to bed, and I fell into the couch and reached for the remote.  My hand remained empty.  The kids leave it on the couch 95% of the time, so I looked under a pillow and a random pajama shirt that was on the couch.  No remote.  

      I got up and walked over the the chair they usually play video games.  It wasn't on the chair, under the chair, on the floor, in the video game case basket.  No remote.

      I found three other remotes.  Three.  But not the one I needed.  My life is a bit messy, but my house is a total MESS.  This wasn't helping me decompress.

      I went upstairs to ask my husband.  I thought he might be still awake, and maybe for some reason he had found a new spot to store it.  Lights off, sleeping soundly, my hopes crushed.

      Is is silly that frustrated tears started to well up in my eyes?  Over Magnum PI?  All the tensions and worries and frustrations bubble up to the surface because of a remote.  Is this what they mean when they say the straw that broke the camel's back?  A remote control broke a lit coordinator mom's back, I guess.

      I sat back down on the couch, dejected, and grabbed the lap desk that I put my laptop on while I work.  I might as well slice about my remote.  As I lifted it to my lap, I found the remote under it.  It was right near me the whole time, and I swear I had lifted it up first.  Or did I?

      Slicing with Jay Hernandez makes it all better.  Aloha, Magnum.




1 comment:

  1. Scenes of Hawaii would interest me right now. This winter has been long and cold. I would watch and imagine I was the one walking among the palm trees!
    I am glad you found your remote. I am still missing one from a few years ago. I am convinced it is buried somewhere in my daughter's disaster...

    ReplyDelete