Bilingüe/ Bilingual

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

#SOL19: March 20th


Porque hablo español, 
puedo leer los cuentitos de mis estudiantes 
y decir estudiantes, escuela, comunidad.

Because I speak English, 
I can communicate with others 
and say We are #BetterTogether.

Porque soy bilingüe, 
puedo tomar café y coffee
tener orgullo y pride
leer libros y books
tomar fotografías y photographs
y entiendo doble.

And one day, 
because our students can speak 2 languages, 
they will do twice as many things, 
read, write, listen and speak twice as much, 
and they will be twice as proud of themselves.

This slice was inspired by a poem written by Alma Flor Ada. It was shared by Maribel Gálvez after she did an Así se dice lesson with her class. I decided to use it as a mentor poem instead, and used the structure but changed it to reflect my own bilingual experiences. Thanks for sharing, Maribel (and Alma Flor Ada).

In our dual language classrooms, we use green font for Spanish, and blue font for English.



1 comment:

  1. As a retired ESL teacher, this post warmed my heart. Especially because I love poetry and loved teaching poetry and bilingual poetry to my kids. Nice reflection!

    ReplyDelete