Voices of Inspiration

Thursday, January 28, 2016



This is the last post in the #D100BloggerPD challenge about what inspires us.  If you missed any, please click on the ThingLink below to catch up!

Thanks +Kristin Richey  and +Colleen Noffsinger  for organizing us on this journey.


What inspires me?
I have really struggled with this question, for a few reasons.  First of all, this blog is filled with posts about things that inspire me, from music to people to authors.  Many things have inspired me at various times in my life.  Coming up with ONE source of inspiration was just too hard.

Over the course of a week, I started generating a list:
My kids.  Quotes.  Photographs.  Books.  Authors.  People.  Song lyrics.  Students.  Teachers.  More people.  Rainbows.

I started to see a trend in most of those things. Words.  What do the words, or message, communicated by them have in common?  I spoke to a friend on the phone, and she said those words are like "voices of hope."  I realized that "Voices of..." seemed to work, but I wasn't sure hope was all encompassing enough.


I went into a teacher's classroom as lunch, because her mom had brought her McDonald's and I wanted to steal a few fries.  I turned to a small thoughtful group of educators and said, "What do the voices of song lyrics, good quotes, people like MLK, and our own staff have in common? Hope? Joy? Caring? Optimism?" One of the teachers talked about a story that had moved her to tears about when the Dream Act was passed.  I showed them a music video that inspires me.  Tears flowed. It was then, over a chicken nugget, that she said, "Why not just voices of inspiration?"


I am inspired by people who inspire others.


Kindergartners whose hopes and dreams are for others to dream.  Selfless and kind, right from the start.


People who believe in the beauty of a better tomorrow, and start down the path to it.  People who lead others down the path, too, or help people create their own path.


Songs that have lyrics that remind us to be a better person.  The world turns with our light.  There is universal beauty in being humble and kind and respectful and human to all people.


Movies that show us empowerment,  strength and courage are in our own control.  We have the power to make a difference in our own lives, and the lives of others.


Coworkers and literacy gurus who push me to be the best educator that I can be with their words and ideas and passion.  Their support is a blessing that propels me forward.


Books and book characters that show us that the dark and the light are within us all, but that light can win.  Love and hope can be our motivation if we let it.


My family, who are my voice of everything.

Somos los soƱadores.
We are the dreamers.

We can dream beautiful things, and make those dreams come true. We are the ones who can see beauty in the world, and create more beauty in this world.
We can be voices of inspiration for others.

Be that voice.
Maybe you will be my next voice of inspiration.  :)


4 comments:

  1. I've read this three times already. Such a beautiful, inspirational message. And the perfect end to the challenge. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the millions of thoughtful things I could say in response to your post here...I'm really, REALLY craving a chicken nugget. Thanks for that.
    But seriously, love your post. Thanks for always being willing to join the #D100bloggerPD crew and for inspiring so many of the great educators in our district!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over how cute that little drawing is with the sweet words from a kindergartner!
    Your words, about what inspires you, inspire me! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Leah! I love your voice!

    ReplyDelete