Leprechauns Never Lie!

Sunday, July 20, 2014


Day 19 of #BTBC14


     My favorite holiday of the year has to be St. Patrick's Day.  Every year, I would read Leprechauns Never Lie to my class, by Lorna Balian, to start the day off.  This is the version of the book that I own.  It is lovely, because it is printed on cream pages with illustrations in the same color as the brown font from the cover. The only other color she used was green, and only when the leprechaun is in the story.  Green wisps show when the leprechaun is darting off.  What I love about the book is the message about what treasure really is.  They never get the gold in the end, but end up with treasure all the same.  Great book!

     The kids are usually intrigued by the idea of a leprechaun, and I casually mention that Liam the Leprechaun usually stops by to visit us every year.  Then off to a regular day...  For the rest of the day, though, the kids claim that they see green streaks down the hall, or in the gym, or out the door.  I think there response to the legend is my favorite part of the day.  Their innocence is charming.  

     At the end of the day, I have always had Liam drop off some treasure for the kids.  Depending on the year and our schedule, it changes.  When we don't have a special at the end of the day, I have had teachers "find" notes for us, leading us to our lockers to find treasure.   Sometimes I have had the custodian find a box of treasure in the hall, with a note from Liam.  My favorite was when we had a special at the end of the day, so that I could turn Irish music on, leave shamrocks all over the place, and leave the treasure out in the open.  




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!