Be The Change, and Promise to Learn

Wednesday, July 23, 2014


Day 23 of #BTBC14
What is your favorite thing about your career?


     Perhaps my favorite thing about teaching is that we have the ability to inspire others and change their lives for the better.  I guess I have always had the grand dream of reading about one of my former students in the newspaper some day, seeing the great things that they have done not only for themselves but for the world.  Knowing that I knew them, if even for a brief piece of their education, is something I am proud to be a part of.  
   
     My good friend, +Bismah Sabri, had a sign outside of her door all year that says it all.  
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."  (Gandhi) Teaching in an elementary school, I don't always get to witness the world changing actions, but I just know that they will happen... Someday.  

     Another thing that I have come to love about my career is that I am always learning.  Yep.  The teacher is always learning.  I suppose I didn't realize that going into my career, but here I am, 15 years later, and I feel like I am learning something new every day.  It might be from a coworker, a PD session, my Twitter feed, a student, or my own kids.  Whatever the source might be, this "old dog" is learning new tricks.  And thank goodness for that!  It can be exhausting at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  After all, how can we expect our students to learn something new everyday if we won't make the same promise to ourselves?

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Yes! Yes! Your final sentence is so spot on! This quote sums it up, "When you're done learning, you're done teaching."

    ReplyDelete