Teacher Leaders

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Teacher Leaders?

     Today I followed a Twitter Chat with ASCD about teacher leaders.  That is actually a topic I have thought a lot about recently, working with the various teacher leaders in my own school district.  I have the lucky position of getting to work with many teachers who lead others, both at Hiawatha and throughout the district in my PD role, curriculum work, the mentor program, and National Board mentoring. So many of these tweets made me think of D100 staff.  So, here are some of the highlights.  Do you see yourself in these tweets?  I do!  

How do you think the role of teacher leader should be defined?








How can admins support and empower current teacher leaders?



What are some ways that teachers can work on becoming teacher leaders?




What are some of the challenges or potential pitfalls of developing teacher leaders?



Tell us about a time when you were encouraged to be a leader, or when you encouraged someone else.




How can a strong teacher leadership structure benefit school climate?


What is the best advice you'd give to someone who wants to be a teacher leader or develop teacher leaders?






     In D100, we are blessed to have many opportunities to lead as teachers.  I am proud of the moments that I have been able to use the skills that I have to help others, but I am even more proud of the co-workers that I see every day lead others on their teams and in our building.  The things we are doing at Hiawatha fill me with pride, and none of those things could be accomplished without the drive, dedication, and perseverance of our teacher leaders.  New teachers, veteran teachers, teachers in between, all rising up and leading others with their talents.  Thank you for what you do.

     To quote @cvarsalona, "Reflective learners become the best leaders." Take time to reflect on your teaching, your students, your purpose, and your goals, and share your light with others.  We are a district full of teacher leaders, making a difference every single day for our students.  

#huskypride

(To see the entire Twitter chat, go to #ASCDL2L)






No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!