It Takes a Village

Tuesday, June 3, 2014



     We have all heard the expression "It takes a village to raise a child."  This year, I found that the same sentiment holds true when it comes to educating a child.  We have always known how important it is to include our families when making educational decisions.   It takes just as much collaboration with staff members as well.  We all need to work together to educate our students, because they all come to us needing different things.  We need to support each other in the process.

It takes a village to educate a child, and I happen to know a great village.

     Thank you, Hiawatha staff, for making this year a great year.  It was my first year stepping out of the classroom and into the Literacy Coach position, and I cannot tell you how much I appreciated your support and encouragement through the transition.  Through my interactions with the staff at all grade levels and support levels, I have learned so much.  Not only did you share things with me, but I was then able to share your knowledge with others.  Hiawatha was stronger this year because we learned and supported each other.  For that, I thank you all.

     Thanks for letting me come to your planning meetings.
     Thanks for letting me read with your students.
     Thanks for letting me talk about curriculum.  I know I am a bit dorky about it.
     Thanks for letting me take pictures and videos in your rooms.
     Thank you for letting me observe you and watch you teach.
     Thank you for letting me talk about Christopher Lehman.  :)
     Thanks for letting other teachers come in and visit your room.
     Thanks for sharing resources with me about all things literacy.
     Thanks, K-2, for letting me work with your kids in Accelerated Learning.
     Thanks for helping us adopt a panda by supporting the bracelet sales!
     Thanks for taking a chance on the workshop model in your classrooms.
     Thanks for all the smiles, hugs, and kind words along the way.
     Thanks for reading my blog entries.
     Thanks for being part of my PLN.
     Thanks.

     Some of our staff will be leaving us this year, and I am so sad about it.  I will miss you all.  Thank goodness, in this digital age, the world has flattened and we will still be in contact via social media.  I am always an email or text away if you need anything.  Thanks for sharing your talents with us at Hiawatha.

     I happen to know a great village.  The Hiawatha village made me truly happy this year.  Check it out in video below, and remember the difference you all made in 2013-14.

     Hiawatha is Happy!





No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!