Our {Chalk} Message to the World

Wednesday, March 30, 2016



     We ended a month and a half long building focus as Teachers as Writers with staff chalk writing on our blacktop.   I will be posting more about our staff writing soon. But until then, let's just enjoy their message to themselves, our students, and to the world.

     On this particular day, I was late to school because of traffic, and it happened to be the day of the bombings in Brussels. I spent a long time in my car that morning, hearing the coverage of the terrible things that seem to happen in our world with more and more regularity.  On this particular morning, it was personally upsetting because my cousin and her family live there.  This time, I was worried about Michele, Adenilson, Coralee and Kian, as their city was on lock down due to terrorism.  And yet I had a building wide writing celebration to hold.

     Our staff chose their favorite pieces of writing from their personal writing this last month and a half, and shared it on the blacktop for the "world" to see.  Their message was powerful and optimistic, and filled with beauty and imperfection and hope.  The way they choose to see the world, as flawed as it sometimes it, was inspiring.  And just what I needed to read that morning.  

     As I snuck upstairs to open a window and take a collective picture from above, my phone buzzed with a Facebook notification that my family in Brussels was safe.  Yet, somehow I knew that already.

    Writing is powerful.  

    Words matter.

     On this day, they helped me see the light, even through the darkness.  Thank you, Hiawatha.


      What message do you want to share with the world?  Pick up a piece of chalk, or a pencil, or a computer, and share it.  Your words matter.

      





6 comments:

  1. I love this idea. In my kitchen at home we have several sections of walls painted with chalkboard paint. We switch out the thoughts that are written there. It's fun to read them throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that your family is safe. What a fun day at school celebrating writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this PD activity and the meaning behind it. What a beautiful way to find light in a time of darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea. I would love our staff to do this. You have definitely inspired me today. Thanks for sharing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you were able to focus on teachers as writers for an entire month and what a great celebration! Chalk is fun at any age. Words matter at every age! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad your family is safe! I have a friend over in Brussels and found out she and her family are safe, too. I love your celebration of writing!!

    ReplyDelete