Quack, Quack: A Slice of Life

Thursday, March 5, 2015


Writing teachers need to write themselves.
I am participating in the Slice of Life 2015 Challenge, 
where I attempt to write stories and narratives about moments in my life.
I apologize if this blog post veers off the informative "literacy lens" I usually write through.
This month I am pretending to be a writer, for my students' benefit (and my own).
Writers write. 
#SOL15

Every weekday morning starts the same.

Wake up.  Shower.  Get ready.  Say good morning to the kids.  Get the lunches ready.  Pack the book bag.  Tell the kids to get their coats and shoes on.  Put on my crocs and go to the garage and pack the car with all the stuff we need for our day.  Tell the kids to get their coats on again. Get my own coat and shoes on.  Tell the kids again to get ready.  Zip at least one of their coats in defeat, and find at least one hat and gloves set that they can't find.  Load them into the car.  Usually run back into the house to get a forgotten item (Repeat that as needed).  Drop the kids off at grandma's.  Begin the journey to work.  Drive.  Get out of the car and start my day.

Quack Quack


I walk to my office and try to shuffle my feet.  

Quack Quack 


I sit stationary for as long as I can, then start making my way to the office for CICO.  I get my boys started on their day and make my way back to my office to do some work after being out of the building the day before.  I try to walk really slow.  Boy, these halls are still.

Quack Quack


I head down the hallway to my first classroom of the day.  The hall is quiet, so the quacking is deafening to me. Gosh, I hope no one notices that sound.  Oh good, this classroom is noisy and full of learning.

Quack Quack


Uh oh.  This classroom is quietly writing.  Will the quacking disturb the peaceful sound of the Piano Guy in the background?  Ooh... is the Johnny Cash?  Awesome!

Quack Quack


Is there a way I can walk into the AP's office without my shoes on?  Maybe he won't notice and tease me.  Perhaps I'll sit down as quick as I can and get off my feet... Phew.... I think that worked.   No comments.

Quack Quack  


The day continues...  Classroom visit.  Read aloud.  Coaching meeting.  Recess duty.  Classroom visit.  ELA team planning meeting. Coaching meeting.  Coaching meeting.

Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack....  


The bell rang.  Are you kidding me?  I have to walk into a quiet School Improvement meeting with these shoes on?  Oh good!  They haven't started yet.  I'll slide right in undetected.  Maybe.

Quack Quack 


In an empty building, these shoes really resonate. 

Note to Self:  

Leah, make sure you change into your real shoes tomorrow after filling the car with the bags!!!

Being a duck for a day is for the birds.  
  

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I can definitely relate to situations like this. Too many things going on to remember that one small part of the routine. I often go back to my car to double check that my lights are off (even though I know my car will yell at me if they're on when I open the door...). Thanks for sharing! #sol15

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Took me a bit to figure it out. I've been there- makes for a long day doesn't it? lol

    ReplyDelete