#sol17: Crossing Guard Greetings

Thursday, March 9, 2017



Day 9 of #sol17



     I rarely get to drive my kids to school or pick them up, except when someone is sick or our school calendars just didn't line up right.  Today, someone was sick.

     After we got my daughter and she buckled herself in, we headed for home.  We were talking about her day, and she suddenly yells out:

     "Stop and roll down the window!"

     "Why on earth would I do that?"

     "It's Miss Audrey!"

     Yep, my kids wanted to roll down the window and stop and talk to the elderly crossing guard.  The irony in this is that they NEVER walk to school.  Ever.  This makes one think, how would they know the crossing guard if they never actually cross the street?

     It turns out that my mom is the friendliest woman on the planet.  I discovered this when my son was in kindergarten, and they got a valentine from the crossing guard.  My daughter didn't even go to the school at the time!  I probed for more information, and found out that they stop at the corner, roll down the window, and have conversations with her twice a day, just because.  They now exchange presents for all the major holidays, too.  She even sends them thank you cards via the post office mail.  Not quite sure how that happened, either...

     And that, in a nutshell, is my mom.  She has a heart of gold, and know more humans than most.  I just had no idea how much my daughter was like her, until today.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!