Passion

Saturday, October 24, 2015


     The real world is hard.  

     There, I said it.

     The truth is, I love teaching.  I have always been passionate about my job, and my students, and my school.   I am also passionate about my family, and my children, and their lives.  And, sometimes, because I am so passionate about so much, I tend to get emotional.  When passion fills you up to the brim, tears flow easy.  (At least they do for me.)  This week, I cried for the first time at a parent teacher conference for my own child, and the line between balance and passion and sheer exhaustion seemed to collide.  Embarrassment soon followed.  I am a teacher.  Teachers don't cry at conferences.  

     I think I just broke an unwritten rule.  

     As this week continued, I began to realize that perhaps rules are meant to be broken.  There is no one right way to do anything.  I went from room to room, coaching and teaching and meeting with people, and from some their passions spoke clear and loud.  Their excitement.  Their actions.  Their words.  They exuded passion.  And it re-energized me.  Their passions made me remember my own.

     Hiawatha once again inspired me.


     This #educoach post has the purpose of reminding us coaches to help the teachers we work with to find their passion, to develop it, and to ask them to share it with others.  

     For all educators, remember to bring YOU into your classroom.  Find ways for your voice to be heard.  We can't only teach things that we are passionate about, but we should put some of US into our teaching.  It makes a difference, for our own well being and on the impact we have on the kids.

     For teachers reading this, remember to keep your students' passions in your mind, too.  When our students are engaged and eager learners, that will spread to their classmates like wildfire.  Whether it be on coding, or LEGOs, or the Cubs, strong emotions can lead to great learning opportunities.


    

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!