Literacy Nerd Alert

Tuesday, October 15, 2013


     Literacy Nerd Alert!!!!

     I am a literacy nerd.  I like collecting books on literacy, like some people collect stamps, or coins.   I also like talking with people involved in literacy.  I create my own PLN, especially around the building, but I definitely take the opportunity to talk "reading" with any expert I can.  So, here I am with Dr. Howard.  I even have a READ t-shirt.  Yep...  Literacy nerd.

     There are a few things that I would like to emphasize from Dr. Howard's presentation last Friday.  I know that it was all day, in uncomfortable chairs, and before a long weekend.  A lot of things can get lost in translation with all those variables.  She showed some great ways to use the common core in our instruction, and she gave us strategies to close read.  Those things will certainly be beneficial to us as the year goes on.

     In my opinion, however, the most valuable things we can walk away from are some beliefs she has about teaching and students.  They are, in no particular order:

1.  There is nothing new in education.  Just new ways of thinking.

2.  Children are not a letter.

3.  What are you going to say yes to?  What are you going to say no to?

     Like I previously stated, I am a literacy nerd.  I take pictures with random literacy people, and I even had her sign my book.  Do you know what she wrote?


     My dear Hiawatha teachers, I believe in what you do every day.  I believe that you know a lot about teaching the students in your classrooms, and I believe that we as a building work together in honor of children.  Children are not a letter- they are kids.  They deserve the best that we have to offer.  You are the best.  Believe in yourself, believe in your kids, and let's all work together and great things will happen.

     Just be careful... if you ever write a book about literacy, I will make you sign my copy and I will make you take a picture with me.  I promise you that.  :)


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!